New Humanoid from JVC

News and announcements related to Humanoids/walkers, robo-one/other conferences, intelligent servos, advanced robot controllers/sensors, and interesting new humanoid related developments.
4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1

How many DOF does J4 have?

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
more
100%

Total votes : 1

New Humanoid from JVC

Post by limor » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:40 pm

Post by limor
Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:40 pm

Following the footsteps of Sony and Honda, JVC have showcased a small humanoid robot called J4. It is tiny and has the looks of a mini Asimo.
Videos and links at robots-dreams.com
Following the footsteps of Sony and Honda, JVC have showcased a small humanoid robot called J4. It is tiny and has the looks of a mini Asimo.
Videos and links at robots-dreams.com
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Good question

Post by tempusmaster » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:59 pm

Post by tempusmaster
Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:59 pm

Limor,

Your question/poll is excellent. It took me a while to research. It turns out that J4 has 26 degrees of freedom. That explains why it looks so incredibly smooth when it walks.
Limor,

Your question/poll is excellent. It took me a while to research. It turns out that J4 has 26 degrees of freedom. That explains why it looks so incredibly smooth when it walks.
Latest robot news, information, reviews, hacks, photos, and videos - with special on-site coverage from Japan
http://www.robots-dreams.com
tempusmaster offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by limor » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:42 am

Post by limor
Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:42 am

Thants the great thing when you can afford to design and build a humanoid without using the bulky RC-servos. with slimlined motors and a central motor-controler it is possible to fit many DOF in a small body.

Do you know if they plan to "mass produce" this model or is it just a marketing budget thing like Qurio?
Thants the great thing when you can afford to design and build a humanoid without using the bulky RC-servos. with slimlined motors and a central motor-controler it is possible to fit many DOF in a small body.

Do you know if they plan to "mass produce" this model or is it just a marketing budget thing like Qurio?
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by tempusmaster » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:53 pm

Post by tempusmaster
Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:53 pm

limor wrote:Thants the great thing when you can afford to design and build a humanoid without using the bulky RC-servos. with slimlined motors and a central motor-controler it is possible to fit many DOF in a small body.

(Note: I have to preface my comments with the usual "this is just my personal opinion" disclaimer.)

So true. Engineers can do some marvelous things when they aren't constrained by actually producing a product that someone can afford to buy...

The JVC core technology is sweet, but it takes hundreds of thousands of units or more to justify the design of some of the mechanical stuff that goes into one of their VCR's or video cams. They can put the same technology into a robot that demonstrates how great their technology is... but we're still quite a way from the point where the volumes will drive down the unit cost to make the application viable.

At this point they don't have any plans to mass produce it. It's an engineers dream, but from talking to the folks at the trade shows where it's appeared I get the impression that they really don't have a clear business plan laid out yet.

With the Sony axe having fallen, the folks on this particular project at JVC are probably hustling to justify keeping it alive.
limor wrote:Thants the great thing when you can afford to design and build a humanoid without using the bulky RC-servos. with slimlined motors and a central motor-controler it is possible to fit many DOF in a small body.

(Note: I have to preface my comments with the usual "this is just my personal opinion" disclaimer.)

So true. Engineers can do some marvelous things when they aren't constrained by actually producing a product that someone can afford to buy...

The JVC core technology is sweet, but it takes hundreds of thousands of units or more to justify the design of some of the mechanical stuff that goes into one of their VCR's or video cams. They can put the same technology into a robot that demonstrates how great their technology is... but we're still quite a way from the point where the volumes will drive down the unit cost to make the application viable.

At this point they don't have any plans to mass produce it. It's an engineers dream, but from talking to the folks at the trade shows where it's appeared I get the impression that they really don't have a clear business plan laid out yet.

With the Sony axe having fallen, the folks on this particular project at JVC are probably hustling to justify keeping it alive.
Latest robot news, information, reviews, hacks, photos, and videos - with special on-site coverage from Japan
http://www.robots-dreams.com
tempusmaster offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1